Vacation House Checks
Police Vacation House Check
The Scappoose Police Department requests you complete the Vacation House Check form at least 48 hours prior to leaving. You may print the completed form and drop it off at our agency Monday - Friday from 8:am-5:00pm . In addition, you may mail the form to:
Scappoose Police Department
Attn: Vacation House Check
33568 E. Columbia Avenue
Scappoose, OR 97056
DISCLAIMER: Requesting a vacation house check does not guarantee that a burglary or other crime will not occur at your residence, and it is only intended to be a request for the Scappoose Police Department to check your home periodically, based upon the availability of an officer. No vacation checks while the homeowner is gone from the home are guaranteed. No additional police response or protection is being guaranteed by requesting a vacation check, other than normal police services and protection which is provided to the general public.
Consequently, it is recommended that you make every effort to safeguard against losses including securing of high value property, using proper locking devices, alarm systems, etc.
Be sure to give your home the appearance of being occupied while you're away by:
• Putting lights, a radio and even the TV on timers.
• Arranging for your lawn to be cared for.
• Have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail and newspapers, or have delivery suspended for the duration of your time away.
• Make sure that your doors are locked.
• Leave a key with a trusted neighbor, friend or relative.
• NEVER hide a key on your property; criminals are good at guessing hiding spots.
• If you choose to have a neighbor care for your home while you're away, make sure they know how to contact you in case of an emergency.
Some useful tips to use if leaving your home for an extended period of time